Imphal, October 26 2020: Special Judge of NIA Manipur today framed charges for trial against Saikul MLA Yamthong Haokip, KRA chief David Hangsing and others in connection with Manipur Rifles Arms theft case
The charges were framed under different sections of IPC, UA/P and Arms Act after it was kept on reserve after the hearing of charges levelled against them by NIA on October 14 .
The charges were framed against
- Yamthong Haokip MLA Saikul AC;
- KRA chief, David Hangsing (37) of Sadar Hills;
- Havildar Nellakattil Podiyan of Ommulur Kerala who is currently staying at 2nd Manipur Rifles;
- Riflemen Laishram Anilkumar of Sangaiprou Mamang Leikai;
- Ngamboi Haokip @ Raju of Loibol Khunou Waroiching;
- Haobam Brojendro of Kwakeithel Nganapithong;
- Paonam Shantikumar Singh of Kwakeithel Mayai Koibi Ningthoujam Leikai;
- Laishram Damudor @ Thembung of Kwakeithel Mayaikoibi;
- Talung Pung-phinamei of Maram Kavanam;
- Mathurabasimayum Hiranjoy Sharma @ Ngouba of Tera Sapam Leirak and
- Thokchom James @ Tonao of Kwakeithel Mayaikoibi.
During the announcement of the charge order today, accused MLA Yamthong Haokip; Riflemen Laishram Anilkumar, Talung Pungphinamei and Thokchom James were absent.
The Court directed all four of them to appear before the Court for explanation of the charges tomorrow without fail.
Also Read Manipur Rifles Arms theft case: NIA Court reserves the charge order
Mention may be made that the State Government in March 2018, took the decision to hand over the arms missing case of 56 numbers of auto 9mm pistols along with 58 magazines from the arms kote of 2nd Manipur Rifle in between 2014 and 2018 to the NIA.
An NIA team soon initiated the investigation by taking those who were arrested by State Police earlier into custody and further arrested Saikul MLA Yamthong Haokip and self-styled KRA chief, David Hangsing in August 2018 .
NIA had submitted their chargesheet against 8 accused persons before the Special Court NIA on September 25, 2018 and framed charges against them for Special NIA trial of the case on October 1, 2018 .
Later supplementary charge sheet of NIA was submitted before the same Court on January 28, 2019 .
Mention may also be made that some of the accused including Yamthong Haokip and David Hangsing are currently out on bail.
The same Court on August 27 last year had also declared self-styled chairman of UKLF, Lhonkoson Haokip @ Soson@ SS Haokip (47) of Khangbarol village, Tengnoupal as a proclaimed absconder, after hearing the submission of two Court witnesses, Inspector of NIA and Inspector of Molcham Police station.